Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Role Models



One of the reasons I wanted to write this blog is to reflect on the characteristics of people I have met that I believe are diplomatic role models.

I had the privilege to work previously at a U.S. Embassy.  There, I had opportunities to see diplomats in action, whether they were presenting at a security summit, giving speeches at official functions, negotiating with foreign officials, or joking with school children.  Every interaction was a chance to make a good impression.  Each person I met was remarkable and incredibly professional.  They loved their job and serving the American people.  The internship, in addition to allowing me to apply a little of what I had learned in political science and economics classes, was a great opportunity to witness how governments and people acted.

I also saw a deep contrast between those I worked with and myself.  I am pretty young, my internship was my first time working overseas, and it happened to be in a culture I knew very little about I need to work on being more thoughtful, and I want to notice more going on around me. I want to push myself to be more extroverted, and while I love telling jokes to put people at ease, I want to be versed enough in cultural differences to be able to think through every nuance of possible reception before I go for the laugh.  I feel successful diplomats have already mastered these skills.

The diplomats were polished and confident.  They were fantastic listeners and never seemed to miss a signal.  Though many seemed more than a little reserved, they were often able to lighten the mood with a strategically-placed, tactful comment.  Most importantly, they made people feel comfortable.  When I met with them outside of the office, they may have been a little more relaxed, but the same qualities were a persistent part of their persona.

My supervisor and the older interns had a huge impact on me.  As much as I want to publicly give them credit for being wonderful people, they are doing a variety of great things and I don’t want to embarrass them.  They all adopted me in some way and were both patient and open.  More importantly, they gave valuable constructive criticism.  I rely on their insights as a critical insight into what I hope is my future career.

One of my housemates during that summer often said that there is something to be learned from every person.  That principle can often be difficult to put in practice.  However, living abroad again, I’ve revisited the concept and tried to follow that wisdom.  No matter your thoughts on the person, try to find what is admirable in them and reflect on that.  If personalities clash, try to figure out why; new things can be learned through interaction with people.  If the person is awesome, try to observe how they interact with others.  I have been trying to practice the positive qualities while avoiding the negative ones.  I hope I’ve been making progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment